Thursday, June 7, 2012

Spinosad to the Rescue

ThripsRecently a customer sent me a glowing email extolling the virtues of the Spinosad that I had recommended. His thrips (my personal nemesis) were gone. His email made me wonder why I had not tried Spinosad on my thrips, so a few weekends ago I sprayed my citrus with a low mix to see what would happen. Within 48 hours the orange dog caterpillars which were devouring my grapefruit were dead. Later I discovered that the thrips were controlled as well.
I was so impressed I wanted everyone to know more about this product.

Spinosad is derived from naturally occurring soil bacterium called Saccharopolyspora spinosa which was first collected by a scientist on vacation in 1982 at an abandoned rum distillery in the Caribbean. When studied in the laboratory, researchers determined that when this bacterium is ingested by pest insects it causes rapid excitation of insect nervous systems and kills the insect, but doesn’t harm mammals, birds, aquatic life, amphibians, or reptiles. Even better, Spinosad will not harm most beneficial insects. This includes ladybugs, green lacewings, minute pirate bugs, and predatory mites. Because Spinosad has to be ingested to work, it is very effective on insects that suck plant juices. Pest insects that are susceptible to Spinosad include borers, caterpillars, leafminers, loopers, thrips, spider mites, fire ants, leaf beetle larvae, sod webworm, grape leaf skeletonizers.

Our Spinosad products can make a difference in your garden and landscape too! 

natural pest control spinosadMonterey Garden Insect Spray is packaged in three convenient sizes for the home gardener and small market farmers.

Entrust Naturalyte Insect Control is packaged in sizes that are convenient and better suited for larger scale growers.

Spinosad is now being tested in West Africa for controlling mosquitoes and may well prove to be a new and safer solution to mosquito infestation worldwide. The Master Gardeners at ARBICO Organics suggest you try using Spinosad to control summertime pests in your garden!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for great information you write it very clean. I am very lucky to get this tips from you


    Rat problem Vancouver

    ReplyDelete