Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Taking care of indoor plants: How to keep them thriving all year long!

House plants are a great way to add green to your home.  They are also a great way to purify the air and create ambiance!  I love my houseplants, and have some as old as my children!  The key to caring for house plants is to keep them happy!  They need to be located near the best kind of light for their growth, the proper amount of water, and healthy soil! Start out by planting in a good organic soil.  Watering the correct amount is very important. I check the moisture level using my finger every time I water.  This is important because humidity levels in your area can fluctuate, and you may be surprised to find that your plants need more or less water week to week. Too much water, or improper drainage can be detrimental to you plants so pay attention to water retention!  I like to add fertilizer like Maxicrop Soluble Seaweed Powder 1-0-4 to my watering can.  It is so easy to add a bit and give all of my houseplants some nourishment! I also like to give my houseplants a treatment of NemAttack Beneficial Nematodes to help eliminate the possibility of any pests in the soil such as fungus gnats, thrips and crickets. While temperatures outside may drop, the indoors can provide a warm and inviting environment! If you do get some pests, like pesky fungus gnats, place a Gnat Stix trap in the soil near your plant! Follow my advice and you too can have plants that survive season after season and grow to be a permanent fixture in your family!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Grasshoppers – How to Protect Your Garden and Farm with Eco-Friendly Tactics

When conditions are right, grasshoppers can unexpectedly become a big problem for growers. But what are your options to effectively control ...